In 1851, on the banks of Brushy Creek, a small neighborhood was created near a large, Austin situated in the center of the creek. This Austin noted a practical low-water going across for wagons, steeds as well as livestock. The initial postmaster called the neighborhood Brushy Creek, however in 1854 the little negotiation was renamed Austin in honour of this now well-known rock. The “rounded rock” lies near Chisholm Path Road in the middle of Brushy Creek. After the Civil Battle, Jesse Chisholm began to move livestock from South Texas with Austin, heading to Abilene, Kansas. The course he established, which went across Brushy Creek at the Austin, came to be called the Chisholm Route. The majority of the old structures, including the old Saint Charles Resort, are still there today. This historical area is now called “Old Community.”
Downtown Austin is the website of the gunfight as well as succeeding capture (after that fatality) of the nineteenth-century American train robber, Sam Bass, by A.W. Grimes of the Texas Ranger Department on July 19, 1878. The event is known in your area as the “Sam Bass Shootout.” Bass is hidden in Austin Burial ground located northwest of “Old Community” on Sam Bass Road.
Texas carver Jim Thomas was commissioned by the city of Austin, Texas, to produce a 1.5 range 22-figure bronze sculptural composition portraying life along the Chisholm Route in the late 1800s. After the Civil War, the major source of income for Texans was livestock. Trail motorists, such as Jesse Chisholm, led their cattle to market in Abilene, Kansas, to be cost high costs to the eastern markets. The Chisholm Trail was made use of from 1867 to 1884 and ran from Kansas southern to the Rio Grande. The path gone through Austin, Texas, at a particular spot at Brushy Creek, marked by the round limestone rock for which the city is called. It was a great crossing factor for hundreds of livestock. It is this location, the Crossing, that the celebratory park lies.